Hampton Court Castle, like many buildings of its age, has been through an immense journey over the centuries. The oldest parts of the castle, including the Chapel, date back to 1427, with royal permission to crenellate awarded in 1434. Difficult times and changing circumstances led to the castle going through various transformations, which are reflected in how it looks today.
The castle is now fully restored and has retained a truly special atmosphere. It still operates as a place that brings immense joy and charm to many people, and we hope that this can continue for centuries to come.
The castle is open to the public for guided tours during the summer months, which offer an opportunity to see some of the beautiful rooms that are still in use today. The castle is also used for some public events, as well as weddings and private functions.
Please note that tickets for castle tours are only available to those who have also paid to visit the gardens. For opening times and prices, see our Visit Us page.
The Hampton Court Estate has a fascinating and chequered history dating back to the 15th Century. The estate was originally formed by the merging of the manors of Hampton Richard and Hampton Mappenor.
Henry IV began building on the site before giving it to Sir Rowland Lenthall at the time of his marriage to Margaret Fitzalan, daughter of the Earl of Arundel and a cousin of the King. Lenthall built a quadrangular manor house in 1427, twelve years after his knighthood at the battle of Agincourt. In 1434 he was granted a licence to crenellate the house by Henry VI.
Sir Rowland was succeeded by his daughter who married the Baron of Burford and it was their grandson who sold Hampton Court to Sir Humphrey Coningsby in 1510. Hampton Court remained in the Coningsby family, a prominent noble Herefordshire family, until the early 19th Century when the estate was purchased by Richard Arkwright, the son of the famous inventor.
Richard Arkwright's son, John, then commissioned the remodelling of the house in the 1830's and 40's, the work being designed and carried out by Charles Hanbury Tracy, later Lord Sudeley. The Arkwrights lived at Hampton Court until 1912.
In the 20th Century it passed through various hands and much of the original furniture was sold. It was rescued in the 1990s by the American millionaire, Robert Van Kampen, who refurnished the interior according to his interpretation of how an English castle should look.