Gardener / Senior Gardener
We are looking for a Gardener to join the garden and grounds team at Hampton Court Castle.
You will be working on a busy estate with amazing formal gardens to maintain, along with river walks, lawns and a number of smaller private gardens for properties across the estate.
This role offers full-time employment during normal working hours. There may be some requirements to be flexible in your approach to work outside of standard business hours, including weekends and bank holidays if there are special events or absences.
Working at Hampton Court Castle
Hampton Court Castle is a 15th century castle located between Leominster and Hereford, operating as a seasonal visitor attraction. Customers come to see our formal gardens, take castle tours, relax in the amazing surroundings and visit our Gift Shop and Orangery Cafe. We also hold a variety of public events throughout the season. In addition, we host fabulous weddings and private functions in the castle, and are in the process of creating a holiday cottage complex on-site.
The formal gardens are the main attraction at Hampton Court Castle and feature organically managed kitchen gardens, herbaceous borders, a yew tree maze and various large water features. The estate also boasts river walks, a lake and expansive lawns.
- Hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing, weeding, hedge trimming, lawn cutting etc.
- Supporting with the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants.
- Keeping gardens tidy, including maintenance of patio areas, pavilions, greenhouses, etc.
- Interacting with garden visitors and answering any queries they have about the plants.
- Participating in garden events when necessary including helping set up.
- Abide by all operating procedures and health and safety requirements.
- Carry out any reasonable duties asked of you by the Head Gardener.
Skills and Qualifications
- A passion for and understanding of plants and horticulture
- Good attention to detail and a desire to maintain the grounds to the highest standards
- Ability to work well in a team and maintain good relationships.
- Good communication skills.
- Approachable and friendly.
- Motivated and proactive, with a positive outlook.
- Good level of fitness as some tasks are physically demanding.
Experience working as a professional gardener in a similar environment is essential.
The relevant qualifications (NVQ level 3, RHS level 3, degree level or equivalent) desirable.
PA1 and PA6 chemical spraying and CS30/CS31 certificates an advantage.
Good knowledge of and experience with garden maintenance equipment and machinery (strimmers, hedge cutters, chainsaws, mowers, tractors etc) also an advantage.
Staff discounts in Orangery and Gift Shop.
Free onsite parking.
Location: Hope under Dinmore, Herefordshire HR6 0PN